How to find us?
Information about quarantine in the Republic of Lithuania
COVID-19 Hotline in Lithuania 1808
National Public Health Center under the Ministry of Health hotline 24/7: +370 618 79984 or [email protected]
MFA hotline 24/7: +37052362444 | MFA WhatsApp: +37069983537 | E-mail: [email protected]
Travel recommendations: Keliauk.urm.lt | Contact information of Lithuanian embassies abroad: Embassy contacts
National emergency level
The tertiary (absolute preparedness) level of the civil protection system and quarantine on the territory of the Republic of Lithuania declared on March 14, 2020.
The quarantine regime is effective from 16 March 2020, 00:00, until 13 April 2020, 24:00.
Regarding cross-border and domestic movements:
The entry of foreigners into the Republic of Lithuania is prevented, except for the crew members, who are employed in Lithuanian companies engaged in international commercial transportation, or who carry out international commercial transportation by all the means of transport, also persons entitled to reside in the Republic of Lithuania, persons enjoying immunities and privileges under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961) and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (1963) and persons serving in NATO and NATO military units and the personnel serving them and their family members as well as the exceptions referred below, and foreigners who, in exceptional cases, may be allowed entry to the Republic of Lithuania by special decision of the Government on the recommendation of the Minister holding the jurisdiction in the respective realm.
State border crossing shall be carried out at the following international border crossing points:
- By road: Kalvarija - Budzisko, Saločiai - Grenstale, Butingė - Rucava, Smėlynė - Medume, Medininkai - Kamenyi Log, Raigardas - Privalka, Kybartai - Chernyshevskoye, Panemunė - Sovetsk, Šalčininkai - Benjekoni, Lazdijai – Ogrodniki;
- By railway: Vilnius railway station, Stasylos - Benjekoni, Kena- Gudagai, Šeštokai – Trakiszki. Border crossing for commercial and/or international freight transportation shall be additionally carried out at the following international state border railway crossing points: Stasylos – Benjekoni, Pagėgiai - Sovetsk, Joniškis - Meitene, Turmantas – Kurcums and Kybartai - Nesterov;
- Airports: Vilnius, Kaunas, Palanga and Šiauliai international airports’border checkpoints;
- Sea ports: Pilies, Malkų įlankos, Būtingė oil terminal and Molo border crossing points.
From March 20, 1:00 AM Lithuanian time-zone (00:00 AM Polish time-zone), vehicles, heavier than 7,5 t will not be allowed to cross Lazdijai - Ogrodniki border checkpoint. All other vehicles, lighter than 7,5 t, will not be affected and will be able to cross Lazdijai - Ogrodniki border checkpoint.
A transit of persons returning to their country of residence will be allowed until 13 April 2020, 00:00 through the territory of the Republic of Lithuania without a necessary stop, in formed groups of persons or vehicles with ensured compulsory escort (convoy) of these groups from the entry into the Republic of Lithuania to the international border crossing points. The facilitated transit of persons through the Republic of Lithuania from the territory of the Russian Federation to Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation and backwards will be carried out only at Kena railway border checkpoint and Kybartai railway border checkpoint under the conditions laid down by the Minister for Foreign affairs of the Republic of Lithuania.
The citizens of the Republic of Lithuania shall not be allowed to leave the Republic of Lithuania, except the cases where they return to their permanent place of residence, go to their place of employment, are crew members, who are employed in Lithuanian companies engaged in international commercial transportation, or who carry out international commercial transportation of all kinds of goods by all the means of transport, also where there is a permission by the Head of the State Border Guard Service under the Ministry of the Interior or his authorised person.
Persons who have returned from foreign countries shall fall subject to 14 days’ isolation, except for the crew members, who are employed in Lithuanian companies engaged in international commercial transportation, or who carry out international commercial transportation by all the means of transport, and who have no COVID-19 (coronavirus infection) symptoms, and members of official delegations, diplomats and special couriers working on transit trains referred to in paragraph 3.1.3, citizens of foreign countries transiting through the Republic of Lithuania with compulsory escort (convoy) to the country of their residence, and who have no COVID-19 (coronavirus infection) symptoms.
Restrictions shall be imposed on the flows of passengers using long-distance and suburban regular passenger transport services: they shall be required to travel seated maintaining the distance of at least one meter from each other. Special safety precautions shall be taken by disinfecting the vehicles at the beginning and end of the trip for each route. This provision is recommended for urban passenger transport too.
Entry of cruise ships into Klaipėda State Seaport shall be prohibited.
There shall be no restriction on the movement of goods.
It is recommended that people wear face shields or respirators or other nose and mouth protection in public areas.
It is required that people:
- go to or stay in parks and other open public places in groups of no more than two, except for close relatives, adoptive parents, adoptive children and guardians, carers, while keeping at a safe distance (more than 2 meters and less than 15 minutes contact), avoiding direct physical contact and observing personal hygiene requirements;
- go to points of sale and service, which have not been closed under the provisions of this Resolution, one family member at a time.
Important to know
- Persons who have returned from foreign countries shall fall subject to 14 days isolation. More information.
- If you feel flu-like symptoms, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or other respiratory problems, such as muscle pain or fatigue, please call immediately the Hotline 1808 and follow medical advice.
For more information, please call 8 618 79984 or send an email (24/7) to [email protected]
To reduce the risk of transmission of the virus please follow safety instructions:
- Wash your hands;
- Wash your hands with hot water and soap for 20 seconds after visiting public places and cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze;
- When soap and water are not available, using hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol;
- When in public places, avoid touching your face or mouth;
- Avoid contact with people, animals if you are infected;
- Wearing a facemask could help prevent spreading a virus if you are possibly sick;
- Clean highly used surfaces daily.
Information on the isolation of individuals exposed to COVID-19 disease (coronavirus infection) pathogens
By decision of the Minister of Health Nr. V-536 of March 25, 2020, persons who have been in contact with COVID-19, after returning from foreign countries, shall be isolated under the following conditions:
- It is permissible to isolate a person at home or in another place of residence, provided that the person ensures that the conditions of the place of isolation meet the requirements of the regulations, and signs the consent to be isolated at home or other place of residence. For persons without their own transport, transportation is organized by the municipality of their place of residence;
- A person shall be isolated in accommodation facilities provided by the municipal administration of his/her place of residence if the person cannot ensure that the conditions of his/her home or other residence meet the requirements of the said rules, or if they have expressed a desire to be isolated in accommodation facilities provided by the municipality, or if they have refused to sign the consent to be isolated at home or other place of residence. Such persons shall be provided with transport to these premises;
- Persons who have not declared their place of residence in Lithuania, shall be isolated in the isolation premises provided by the municipal administration (according to the point of entry to Lithuania). Such persons are provided with transport to these premises.
- Each person is issued with a medical mask which must be worn during transport to the place of isolation;
- Mobile smear collection teams will take swabs from individuals for laboratory testing on COVID-19 and promptly report the results;
- The municipal administration will organize catering, delivery or transfer of essential equipment (medicines, hygiene goods, clothing) from relatives to the isolated persons, and maintenance of the premises will be ensured;
- Isolated persons shall be prohibited from leaving the isolation area throughout the isolation period and from visiting the general premises of the isolation area;
- Isolation is free for individuals, but it is possible to be isolated in better premises if you agree to pay for it.
Legal Status of Foreigners in the Republic of Lithuania during the Quarantine
The Migration Department informs that foreigners, whose period of legal residence in Lithuania expired during the declared quarantine and who were unable to depart from the Republic of Lithuania in due time through no fault of their own, will not be subject to the return decisions, as well as administrative liability for illegal stay. The abovementioned foreigners, as well as those with respect to whom the decision regarding the return has been adopted, but the period for the voluntary departure expired during the quarantine, may stay in Lithuania during the quarantine in the territory of the Republic of Lithuania. However, they will be required to depart after the end of the quarantine in the Republic of Lithuania within the established period of toleration (we will provide additional information on this in due course).
In order to ensure smooth departure of foreigners after the quarantine, the Migration Department requests the persons, whose period of legal residence in Lithuania expired (will expire) during the declared quarantine and who were unable (are not able) to depart from Lithuania in due time through no fault of their own, to inform the Migration Department about this by E-mail [email protected] Please attach a completed table “Information to be submitted together with the notification that the foreigner was unable (is unable) to depart in due time due to the quarantine” to the e-mail. In the comments section of the table, please indicate what actions the foreigner has taken to return to his/her country of residence.
Please note that foreigners staying in Lithuania and wishing to return to their country of residence may do so by means coordinated with the competent authorities of their country. They should contact the competent authorities of their country regarding that (first of all – embassies or consular posts of those countries in the Republic of Lithuania). Also, we strongly advise you to obtain health insurance, covering the whole period of stay in Lithuania.
More information on COVID-19 and recommendations can be found on:
Government of Lithuania: http://lrv.lt/en/
Ministry of Health: http://sam.lrv.lt/en/
National Preparedness for Emergencies in Lithuania: https://www.lt72.lt/go.php/lit/Eng
State Border Guard Service: http://pasienis.lt/lit/english/1
World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/